Monday, September 30, 2013

43 to the ceiling!

In another effort to encourage some mathematical thinking, we put out the number peg boards along with a few more than 43 pegs.  I know this amount thanks to the hard work one of the boys did.  He started by stacking the pegs on tops of each other and then used a stool to reach higher.  At about 27 pegs, we had to move the tower to the stool.  After a few more pegs, we moved to tower to the floor and the boy to the stool.  Once we hit his height this way, he decided to move the tower back to the table top and I started stacking pegs.  By this time, two other boys had joined us and they all took turns handing me pegs to stack.  When I thought we were done, my original mathematician suggested I stand on the stool and we could continue.  At 43 pegs we had reached the ceiling. 

Did I mention we had to count the pegs after the addition of each new one!!!

Like I said in the title, it takes 43 pegs to reach the ceiling.